Thursday, October 2, 2008

What is it with doctors offices & social security numbers!?

Man this irritates me! Several years ago, we stopped giving out our SS#'s to doctors offices. They just don't need it. The insurance company swears they don't ask for anything more than the last four digits of the social. So why in the world are doctor's offices still giving me a hard time about this?? I had a woman on the phone with me today, totally frustrated with me because I wouldn't give out my social or Dave's, who thought she could get the numbers out of me through her not-so-tactful threats & rude behavior. She even had the balls to say "screw it" to me after she realized she wasn't going to bully me into seeing things her way.

If you know me at all, you'd know threats don't work well with me. It makes me dig my heals in more. This kind of stuff happens all the time in doctor's offices, unfortunately. My skin is much thicker than it once was & I now know I'm the employer & I don't have to put up with that kind of mistreatment.

Her threat was that she could not make me an appointment without first getting my social. Why do people have to make things so difficult? I bet she's asking herself the same thing. I'm really not trying to be difficult, but when you hear about doctor's offices going out of business & all their patients records....SS#'s & all.....being deposited in the dumpster out back for anyone to take, you can't be too careful.

I called back & spoke with someone in the offices administration & explained what had happened. I rarely complain about people's behavior but in this case I really felt someone should know patients are being treated this way when they're not 100% "compliant" & maybe have a few more questions than the average bear. She was nice about it & I can see where it could be frustrating, but the entire conversation after her yelling "screw it" at me was really snotty & rude.

Girlfriend needed to be checked! At the time I was ready to bust out a can but I've figured out a way to let those kinds of frustrations go fairly quickly.

Why is it easier to let frustrations with strangers go more quickly than frustrations with family? Is it because you love them & expect more from them? Want better from them, maybe?

More of life's tough questions.....

3 comments:

Perry Family said...

oh shannon! YOu are too funny!! Good for you for not letting it bother you!

Not as pessimistic as I sound. said...

Happy belated b day!

Danielle said...

I have thought the same thing. Why do they need it. I swear we throw around our identity asking for someone to take it. I thought that these were suppose to be private!! Good for you!! :)

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP