Monday, October 20, 2008

My favorite Sunday's

Yesterday at church we were able to have one of those Sunday's, when the messages were so clear & the stories so fascinating & the speakers so inspired....it was a great day to be able to witness. One of the Ivie boys came home from his mission in India & gave his homecoming speech yesterday. It was a great talk & as he spoke it was very interesting to look at the congregation & see how intently they were listening to his story. He had a very different experience than most missionaries have, which is why I think everyone was so keen to listen. I don't know of any missionaries that have been held in jail & beaten for just being missionaries in a foreign land, other than this young man.

The Bishop got a chance to talk, too. He's running for county commission & has had a string of attack ads against him on TV this week. I know it has to be hard for him & his family to swallow that bitter pill. It's sad what our political atmosphere has turned to, just to try to get someone elected. What happened to the ethics of our founding fathers? There seems to be little integrity left in politics. So little that it's hard to see it when it's actually there. It's nice to actually know someone in the political arena who is ethical & tries to live a righteous life, otherwise I don't think I could hold out much hope for any of it at this point. I'm really disgusted with politics at this point in my life!

Another great event of the day was the opportunity Ty & I had to go to Standards Night. The people who put this together really did an amazing job. I was really impressed with the team-talk the Burt's gave (which I've never seen done before, but they managed to pull it off nicely) & the testimonies of the youth that were shared were very moving. It was really nice to be able to feel like we were able to connect with them on a personal level, even though I don't know most of them. And it's so much more powerful, hearing a testimony from a face you recognize.

The theme was F.R.O.G. ~ Fully Rely On God. The whole room was decked out in origami frogs & stuffed frogs & green treats....they just did an awesome job.

The Bishop spoke for a bit & had a few great stories to share & related them to how Heavenly Father helps those he loves by refining them & allowing their gold (the best within them) to rise to the top. It made me think about the muck I'm not truly letting go of & made me realize what I need to do to allow my inner gold to shine through.

It's always a good day when you're able to look from the outside in & evaluate where things are & where they should be. It's a great day when you know what you need to do to get things to where they should be. Yesterday was a great day. Today is a day of action. :)

4 comments:

Onala said...

Heh Shannon, so glad you had such a wonderful Sabbath. Sometimes I wake up on Sundays and I really have to push to get us to church, but I later realize how much I needed to hear the things that were said that day. Check out my blog, you will be so proud. I do want to get a new family pictures and have you do something cute for my header, I can't quite figure that one out. Good luck on your house hunting ventures. I hope you guys can find just the right house!

Chrissy said...

Thanks so much for your comments! You are so sweet! It was just what I needed to kick my butt out of this funk! And I am glad that somebody else needed it too.

Perry Family said...

Sounds like a wonderful day at church! It was great to see you there by the way!! I love those Sunday's where you feel so uplifted and inspired it makes you want to be better! Great post!

Danielle said...

I would have to agree, Sunday was great. Especially after a break. I said to Matt wasn't that a great message. He said I really didn't hear it. Oops! I guess I ignored the kids so I could hear. I literally had chills and tears through that message.

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP