Friday, September 11, 2009

First Soccer Game!

Ty & the Desert Oasis High School JV team had their first game last night against Sierra Vista. It was an away game & the timing didn't work out for us to make it. Ty had hurt his ankle (doing who knows what; probably goofing off) earlier this week so he didn't play.

They lost.

The fun part about the night is I spent a good hour looking for him afterwards. I told him to ride the bus back to his school after the game & I'd pick him up there.

After 30 min. or so of driving around & parking, then driving around some more, I stopped & asked another JV player if they had seen him. The boy had seen him but was sure Ty wasn't on the bus coming home.

I moved on & decided to track down the coach to get some answers. The coach said he'd signed out (I now realize "signed out" actually means he didn't ride the bus home) & then double checked in his roster to be sure before telling me he was sure he saw Ty return trip. He didn't look as sure as he sounded so I ran home to get my cell & make some phone calls.

I guess the bus left him at Sierra Vista. They dropped the boys off in on place, then picked them up in another, so he wound up missing the bus.

Shortly after leaving to grab him from the other school, his coach calls & I can tell he's a little panicked. He said they did a head count before leaving the school after the game & the numbers turned out correct. He clearly isn't a math teacher, aside from being the soccer coach.

Coach wanted me to call him as soon as I got Ty. I understand accidents happen but I was a little irritated at being told something when he wasn't sure of the truth of his words. These kids are their responsibility when in their care. It was careless to leave someone behind. Hopefully it'll be a good learning experience for everyone.

I will now be at all of his games, even when there's something conflicting. Ty will stick with the group & not go off on his own. And hopefully the coach will either learn how to count & then re-count until he gets the same number at least two times, or call names off a roster instead of his normal guessing game. :P

1 comment:

Pike's Place said...

Glad it worked out, but that situation must have been maddening! Hope the coach learns from this.

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP