Saturday, September 20, 2008

Death & decisions

I got a call yesterday from Candlelighters to do an emergency casting. A 3 year old baby girl had passed away, quickly & unexpectedly, at St. Rose that morning & the family wanted to get a casting of her hand & foot. It's always heart breaking to see the families of children with cancer, but none more so than the family of a child who lays dead right in front of them. These castings are the hardest on me. They leave me bursting out in tears at any given moment for days afterwards. I can't imagine the pain this family must be going through. Even with my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation & what has been prepared for my family while we're here on earth, my heart hurts at the thought of losing one of my children. It's these castings that make me appreciate what I have so much more.

My heart goes out to this family. I've never met them before yesterday but today I ache for them. I know they must be hurting so much.

I am so grateful for my family's health.

One of our fish, Gus, died the other day. We've had Gus since we first moved to Vegas 5 years ago. He was a big, fat gold fish that the kids loved to watch & feed. He's been through 3 moves with us & has withstood a long list of attacks of a 2, 3, & 4 year old (all Jordan), including the vitamin B incident where all the other fish "hitched a ride on the porcelain express", & a few different incidents where he jumped out of the water & landed on the floor several feet below & still managed to survive!

We will miss him.

Dave was offered a position as a Manager at his work for the umpteenth time last week. It was for a team that had a few really good producing sales agents, a few so-so ones, & a few new people that needed some serious work. After getting down to the nitty-gritty of it all, it came out that the top producing agents had plans to move to other managers teams, leaving the new manager to take over a group of sales agents with no more than 5 months experience under their belts. Of course it takes time to build a good team, which is why Dave hasn't taken on the role of manager thus far. Time is money & if you aren't making it you're in jeopardy of losing your job, not to mention the lack of money! Naturally, he has turned it down.

That leaves us with the decision of whether or not to go to Durango. It's a lateral move, which is starting to make less sense because he can do here what is being offered there (which is nothing more than something to put on a resume) & it pays more here. It doesn't come down to the almighty dollar, but that does play a part in things. We want our kids to be able to go to college & have their missions paid for....all things that need money. Do we go somewhere that pays less but is prettier? There's still laundry to be done, no matter where you are. It's more beautiful there, but our core issues will not change even if the scenery does (laundry being the bain of my existence, hence the laundry comment).

So, it looks like Las Vegas is where we will stay. :) We are headed to the Temple early next week & plan to plead our case there, but I think we already know the answer.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Shannon it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and you have figured out what is the best for your family. Good Luck, I know that it will all work out in the end and of course there is a reason for everything, even though we may not understand it all. I hope the temple helps it really is the place for decisions like this. Glad you are staying!! :)

Marilene said...

thanks for sharing your experience with the casting the other day. it is always good to be reminded to enjoy our loved ones as much as we can. i'm glad there are people like you to help cherish the memory of loved ones past :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are staying!

Perry Family said...

OH, I feel so sad for those families who lose their precious little babies to cancer. It's such a shame, and how lucky for you to go down and preserve the memory of their sweet baby!
Good luck with your decisions, it's not easy to do!

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

Well, I know it's hard making these kinds of decisions, but selfishly, we are glad that you are staying.

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP