Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Four Whole Weeks

It's not been common knowledge, since I wasn't sure how well things would go, but for the past month we've been homeschooling again. We did it with Tyler for a handful of years (3rd-7th grades), & though I wanted to do it with Jordan when he was Kindergarten age, the Husband wasn't having it.


With all the struggles Jordan was having, I decided to give homeschooling a shot while he was on track break. It wouldn't hurt anything, I figured, & it would give me an idea if this kiddo was even teachable by his mom.


For the first several weeks, it went very smoothly for the most part. He would have a small meltdown here & there of "I can't do it's", but other than that it went surprisingly well. He enjoys the time we spend together learning about new things.



His teacher called me last week to find out where he had been all week. When I started to explain to her my decision to bring him home, she was more than pleased. She wasn't able to give him the attention he needs, even with her semi-small (for Vegas, anyway) class size, so I think understood it was what he needed before even I did. She was so supportive & I was very surprised. Most teachers I know feel superior for their years spent behind a desk & don't think I'm qualified. I didn't get that from her at all!



This week I implemented a new system that I'm hoping will help him build up his confidence. He has a small jar & some little pom pom's (aka warm fuzzies) to put in it. For every task he completes without constant need for reassurance (something I didn't realize he felt he needed so badly until we began this journey), he gets to add a warm fuzzie to his jar. When the jar is filled, he gets his choice of what kind of party he'd like to have (a pizza party, he tells me).

It's exciting to see how much this small "reward", one little pom pom, motivates him to have a positive. I already see such a big difference in him. The biggest thing is he's so much happier. He really disliked learning a few weeks ago, now he's asking for more when our "day" is done. His reading has gone from "I don't like you for forcing me to do this" to complaining if it's not his night to read out of the scriptures with our family.

He's a great kid who I enjoy being around so much. I'm so thankful we're in a position that makes this choice even possible!

2 comments:

KB said...

Hats off to you for having patience and dedication! :-)

Danielle said...

Good for you Shannon. I really wish I could do this for Payten. The school system sucks here. I am trying to a little more at home with him but with Matt gone it is just too much for me to go cold turkey. 4th grade is tough I am considering homeschooling myself so I can help with homework. Every kids is different. As I see Payten struggle my heart breaks but then Madysen is excelling like crazy. I wish we had the school system that there is in Vegas. 32 kids in a classroom is beyond ridiculous!! Payten just can't even hear himself think. I admire you for doing this and hope the best for Jordan. I will be watching for future updates!!

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP