Saturday, October 3, 2009

Change (the non-fun kind)

There are a few members of our family who avoid, whenever possible, & shun, whenever impossible, this fact of life. Jordan, my strongest-headed boy, is by far the best at the latter part.

We moved back in March & things haven't been the same for him since. He seems to have trouble letting go & has abandonment issues leaving over the old house. He went from doing well in school to not wanting to go to school anymore. Church was the same thing...he didn't want to leave my sight. There were a lot of tears & often trouble that would follow if he didn't get to stay with me. This went on for months after the move.

We were able to keep him at the same school for the rest of First grade but had to move to the new school to begin Second. I was really worried we'd have more of the same attachment issues, just after things were starting to look up, but he did very well from the first day. There was only a 2 week break from First grade to Second.

Since starting Second grade, he's had problems with his school work. One day he just decided he didn't want to be at school anymore & tried to leave campus (thank goodness they caught him!). The Vice-Principal called & they were suspending him for the day. Suspension!? I went in & talked with him & the school counselor & let them know if they sent him home, they would only be giving him exactly what he wanted. I put it in their hands, but explained there would likely be many more instances to follow if they chose to deal with it by sending him home. Thankfully they saw it my way & kept him in "in-house" for the day.

Things have been okay since then.

I think we figured out the problem though. With his abandonment issues still fresh with him, it should have been clear from the beginning. There has been problems with the air conditioning unit for his classroom. His teacher, Ms. Bussey, & class have had to move FOUR TIMES, in the past four weeks, to other classrooms. It's like abandoning his space over & over again.

Poor kid!

He was supposed to be on track break (we are "lucky" enough to be in a year-round school) for the rest of this month & when he goes back it would be more of the same...move to someone else's classroom who's on break, use someone else's desk (only the top, though...the child whose name is on it has all of his belongings inside it), look at the walls that are filled with things that don't apply to what they're learning this year, etc.

I got a letter on Thursday letting me know they were taking volunteers to move to a new class (overcrowding BIG TIME) & it would be on the track we wanted most. After thinking about it all night & talking to Jo about it, I signed it, saying we'd like to move to the new teachers classroom. I received a letter back that said we will be moved & he will now be on track 5, but when I told him about it took me a while to talk him down. He was fine with it in theory, but freaked out in reality.

I figure he was going to be shuffled around next month, when he comes back from break, for who knows how many more times, so why not once more for the year & that will (almost) guarantee no more moves. He's excited about it now...we'll see how he feels about it on Tuesday. I'm excited for him. I really hope this helps him get through these struggles he's going through.

Next year I think we'll be re-zoned for the new school they just started building. I'll deal with it then, but three schools in four years has to be hard for ANY child! :(

1 comment:

Rachel said...

sorry for all the hassel. what a headache. sad for the children. hope it all works out.

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP