Thursday, April 23, 2009

My little man

Jordan has this personality that can, at times, be confusing & frustrating. He is by far my loudest child (though Hayleah seems to be making an attempt to out-do him in this department). He is amazingly difficult & stubborn when he wants to be.

He is not the same person in public as he is at home. He's very reserved in public, rarely ever showing the light inside him. He can be amazingly sweet with his siblings. If you ever need a helper when organizing things, he is always more than willing. He's a messy perfectionist after my own heart! *Ü*


Though he can sometimes be my most difficult child to deal with, he has a way of softening my heart.


Over the last few months, since we moved in to this new house, he's struggled with school. He doesn't want to be there. He wants to be where I am. We've spoken with him, along with a school counselor & even the principal, to try to find out where the cause of this sudden change in how he feels about school came from. It didn't seem to be anything school-related.


There were a few incidents when the principal &/or vice-principal had to come out to the car to bring him in to school because he refused to step foot out of the car door. He cried & screamed & once even ran after Dave in the car when being dropped off. That was the last time anyone dropped him off.


Since then, I have begun to always walk with him to the spot where his class lines up each morning. It takes a bit more time & preparation on my part, which is a good thing for some people. When Dave's working or we don't have any visitors, I have to take the little kids with me, which is not always easy. I have a few basic "rules", if you will.


~I have to try to pull a comb through at least one persons hair.~

~There are no soggy diapers allowed.~

~I actually have to put a bra on & change from my slippers to my flip-flops before noon. (I know...shocker!)~

Like I said, it's good for some people.

This morning we were running a few minutes later than usual. He had to have a home made lunch today & of course there was drama from him about how dumb he looked in his "short pants". Once we got there the first bell had already rang & his class had already gone in.

There are only two ways he will go to class right now. Either his teacher, Mrs. Johnson (really sweet young teacher in another stake) will walk with him, or I have to walk him back to his classroom. It's a huge improvement, so I'm not complaining. It used to be he had to be pryed off of me, crying all the while. That would never fail to break my heart.


Today, when I walked him back to his classroom, he hugged me & kissed me before we said our goodbyes. He always hugs me, but is too big & mature to kiss his mom in public most of the time.


I got about 20 steps away before I heard him running towards me. My first thought was "great! I wasn't fast enough...let the drama begin!". I was pleasantly surprised by him telling me in a hurried voice, "I needed another hug, Mom", followed by a strong hug & a smile. He ran right back to his class & that was that.


I can't say we're at a turning point in regards to these new issues with him, but it feels so good to feel needed when most of the time it's not that way anymore. So I had to blog about this sweet moment with my sweet little man.


Here he is at his first coach-pitch baseball game of the season last weekend.

2 comments:

KB said...

So sweet! Just keep those hugs coming because before too long, it won't be "cool" anymore... sniff sniff!

PS Thanks for the kind words, that is all I need right now! :-)

Pike's Place said...

Oh, goodness -- such a heartbreaking, yet hopeful, story. I hope he continues to do well. My kids aren't in school, yet, but I'm bracing for many crazy emotions. You're doing great!

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP