Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Gossipers & Haters

Last night, while talking with my closest friend Onala, I found out there's a girl who's been talking trash about me. While I'm not so naive to believe no one ever talks about me, the fact that what she had to say was negative & hateful kind of surprised me. I expect others will say I'm odd or that I do things differently, but that I'm a nice person who cares about others & serves others as best she can. This doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'm proud to say I'm not a "sheep". What really surprised me was that her attack on me was because she disliked me. I can totally understand people thinking I'm a bit nutty for some of my beliefs (natural birth, home birth, home schooling, baby wearing, co-sleeping, etc...), but actually disliking me is rare, I think. Anyone who knows me knows I'm pretty easy going & easy to get along with. I'm a bit reserved because I know many don't have the same belief's as me, but am always willing to help or offer humble advice where there's a need. Overall, I think I'm a good person.

For the sake of anonymity (that's funny...like any one's reading LOL), or maybe because I really can't remember this girl's name, we'll call her Rebecca. I met Rebecca about a year ago at a Stake dinner. She & I got into a bit of an argument about some natural health advice I gave a friend of mine who was sitting at our table & after explaining the science behind it, I determined Rebecca was one of those people who need to be right. I can't even remember what we were in a disagreement over, just that I left that night with a feeling of dislike for this girl who acted like she couldn't possibly be wrong & spoke negatively of people (the Primary kids in particular) in her ward, which happened to be my old ward. I remember she was quick & witty, but cutting in her comments & that she had a comment & opinion about everything. As I said, I quickly figured out she was the type of person that had to "win" in their debates, I told her it was okay that she didn't agree with me & that I didn't have to agree with her either.

I know how pointless it is to argue a point with a close minded person, so I didn't want to go any further. I'm not interested in drama for the sake of drama & I dropped it. I hadn't really thought about it since that night but apparently she's still holding onto it. I feel bad for her because she wastes so much on this dislike for me. And I wonder who else has had to feel her "wrath" when they don't agree with her & say so. She seemed to be a bit of a bully, only having people around her who don't stand up to her. Don't get me wrong....I fully understand not wanting to rock the boat or feel like you don't have it in you to stand up for another person when it means you'll likely get buried in mean spirited quick whit. I feel just as badly for those who are around her & feel like they should hold their tongue for fear of becoming one of those she talks about negatively behind their backs.

What touched me was that my friend was so insulted on my behalf, she left shortly after the comments were made. It made me feel really special that she would stand up for me, in the best way she could. She didn't have the perfect come-back for the nasty remarks at that moment & that's okay. She left, sending a clear message she wanted no part of the bashing that was going on, nor did she appreciate others speaking of her friend in a bad way when they didn't even know her (me). She is the type of person who doesn't do well with confrontation. Like me, it often makes her sick to be in the midst of contention. I'm touched she cares about me enough to silently make a point to that particular group of gossipers. I love my friend. :)

No comments:

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP