Monday, March 2, 2009

Off the beaten path

This isn't the normal family-type update, but it feels pertinent anyway. I'm finishing up Alma right now & was reading about the Stripling Warriors. It got me thinking about the mother's of these young men. What would it be like to be in their shoes? First off, I have never known the faith these exemplary women must have had, so I find myself struggling to grasp a lot of my imaginings of what they must have gone through during the time their young sons were off fighting for their family's freedom & the right to live.

How would I deal with such a thing? If my young son was headed off to war, how would I feel? My first instinct would be to panic. My second would probably be to check in to flights to Canada. It's not pretty, peeking in to my mind sometimes, but it's the truth. In the not so distant past, I've thought about being a conscientious objector & even looked in to what it would take to have my children declared conscientious objectors. I've read Alma multiple times but never really got this out of it before.

In conjunction with reading my scriptures, I'm following along with the Book of Mormon Student Manual this time. In so doing, I'm gaining a different view of things I never imagined possible. This quote, in particular, struck me in such a way that I think my opinion of whether or not I would want my sons to join the military later in life has been forever changed.

"To our young men who go into service, no matter whom they serve or where, we say live clean, keep the commandments of the Lord, pray to Him constantly to preserve you in truth and righteousness, live as you pray, and then whatever betides you the Lord will be with you and nothing will happen to you that will not be to the honor and glory of God and to your salvation and exaltation. There will come into your hearts from the living of the pure life you pray for, a joy that will pass your powers of expression or understanding. The Lord will always be near you; He will comfort you; you will feel his presence in the hour of your greatest tribulation; He will guard and protect you to the full extent that accords with His all-wise purpose. Then, when the conflict is over and you return to your homes, having lived the righteous life, how great will be your happiness -- whether you be of the victors or of the vanquished -- that you have lived as the Lord commanded. You will return so disciplined in righteousness that thereafter all Satan's wiles and stratagems will leave you untouched. Your faith and testimony will be strong beyond breaking. You will be looked up to and revered as having passed through the fiery furnace of trial and temptation and come forth unharmed. Your brethren will look to you for counsel, support, and guidance. You will be the anchors to which thereafter the youth of Zion will moor their faith in man."

--The First Presidency



How could I deny my sons (or my daughter, for that matter) these kinds of opportunities? I realize it's not all in my hands & I really have no control of what they choose to do when they're grown but, before, if I could have, I would have denied them the opportunity to serve their country. What blessings they would have missed out on, had I kept my stubborn, blind view of the military? I love it when the Spirit speaks to me through the words of a prophet!

Ty has wanted to join the military for some time now. He knows how I feel about it, but I'm excited to share this with him & let him know my change of heart.

And this takes me to hero's. The word, in general, has become of less value to me than it might have had many years ago. It's overused, if you ask me & it's become just that....a word. A true hero is one who will faithfully follow the Lord, no matter how hard it might be, & come out on the other side even stronger than before. A hero is someone who has trials & tribulations, yet remains unbroken in his faith & dedication to the work of the Lord. Growing up, hero's have always been portrayed as public figures & whenever asked who my hero was, I never had an answer. I would hear others around me throwing out names like Michael Jordan & Madonna & Tom Green (okay, not so much Tom). Seeing things from a different point of view now, I realize I have many hero's. It's no longer just a word to me & that feels really good. :)

1 comment:

Onala said...

Wow Shannon, I am so proud of you for reading and studying the scriptures so in depth. I only wish I could be so dedicated. You have got me thinking too, my Daxton wants to go into the military as well. I hope you have gotten into the groove of things at your new house, but it sounds like you are doing what's most important.

{DSB Pages}


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP